I am saddened to inform you that Beverly Gage passed away on Saturday, August 5th. For those new to Ohio GODORT, Bev worked in government documents/information at Denison University from 1986 till her retirement in 2014, and was very active in this organization. Last year Bev was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
The most recent issue of the State Library of Ohio’s Ohio Libraries Quarterly includes interesting articles about the State Library’s Depository collection, the Cleveland Public Library’s Depository Collection, and the Federal Depository Library Program.
Spring Business Meeting Minutes
State Library of Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
May 12, 2017
(To be presented for approval at the Fall 2017 meeting)
Elizabeth Cline, Sarah Dobransky, Kathy Hughs, Josh Jones, Roger Kosson Kirstin Krumsee, Elissa A. Lawrence, Stephanie Michaels, Lorna Newman, Carol Ottolenghi, Akram Pari, SaraJean Petite, Allen Reichert, Mary Ries, Carol Ann Singer, Ella Shurr, Peter Thayer, Linda Warren
Part 1: Brainstorming for the Future
Carol Ottolenghi led the group in a brainstorming session about the organization’s future direction and goals. Here are some highlights:
- We want to provide education about how FDLP publications offer official and reliable information.
- We want to market government publications to people inside our institutions. This may involve activities such as: displays, blogs, getting into classrooms, and poster sessions at institutions’ in-person research showcases.
- We want to reach out to groups that are not part of the traditional government documents community. This may involve activities such as: providing free educational materials for K-12 teachers, designing programs based on insights gleaned from outreach to interested groups (e.g. journalists, K-12 educators, genealogists, law librarians), and applying to do programs at other conferences.
- We want to help each other. This may involve: reaching out to other state GODORTs, reaching out to retirees, and forming a clearinghouse for marketing resources.
- We are updating the “Who we are” page on our website to reflect the updated GODORT of Ohio Constitution, which recognizes that government information is more than just “documents.”
- In a password-protected blog post, we identified librarians interested in working on specific projects that will advance the above-mentioned goals. The URL of the blog post is: https://ohiogodort.org/2017/05/12/brainstorming-for-the-future/
Part 2: Chat with the State Library
Kirsten Krumsee had an informal discussion with the membership. Here are some of the topics she discussed:
- GPO Exchange: FDLP has moved to a new system for Needs and offers, which allows libraries to upload needs and offers lists as spreadsheets, and which facilitates matching. She asked if Ohio would be interested in such as system. Many people responded favorably to this idea.
- Regional Discards: FDLP is allowing regionals to discard a title if it is digitized and four libraries have been designated as “preservation stewards” and agreed to keep the publication in physical format.
- FDLP Coordinator Certificate Program: This synchronous online program teaches depository coordinators about many aspects of the program, including (but not limited to), PURLs and what is involved in opening a Depository box.
- Weeding: Librarians doing weeding should contact Ms. Krumsee. One of the librarians present recommended that libraries discarding technical reports contact TRAIL (Technical Reports Archive & Image Library, http://www.technicalreports.org/trail/search/). Krumsee reminded everyone that, because TRAIL did destructive scanning, documents should go through the usual disposal procedure before going to TRAIL.
President Akram Pari welcomed everyone to the Spring GODORT meeting. She encouraged all to partake of the fruit and truly excellent cookies she’d brought before the program began.
II. Honoring Retirees
Ms. Pari recognized Cheryl Lubow and Lorna Newman on the occasion of their retirements. She presented Ms. Newman with a retirement gift. Ms. Lubow was not in attendance.
III. Secretary/Treasurer’s Report
Carol Ottolenghi presented the secretary/treasurer report. SaraJean Petite moved that it be approved. Kirsten Krumsee seconded the motion. The report was approved.
IV. Report from the State Library
Kirsten Krumsee reported that the State Library is having its bicentennial celebration on August 4, 2017. She encouraged members to view the exhibit and request the book that the State Library would be offering to GODORT members.
She also asked the Ohio Depository members present if they would be interested in an electronic-only Ohio Depository program if it were to become available. Several members expressed an interest.
V. Committee Report: Membership
Lorna Newman sad that she, Carol Singer, and Peter Thayer were maintaining a list of “Interested People” to whom they sent meeting announcements. Ms. Newman suggested GODORT might want to send meeting announcements to other listservs.
Carol Ottolenghi said that the ORALL (Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries) list should receive the meeting announcement.
Carol Singer said she was updating Bowling Green’s list of Ohio Depository libraries. Kirsten Krumsee said that she had a current list.
VI. Committee Report: Website
SaraJean Petite reported that she would be updating the website in the upcoming weeks.
VII. Committee Report: Newsletter
Carol Singer reported that she sent the GODORT list a link to the current newsletter.
VIII. ALA/GODORT Liaison
Kirsten Krumsee volunteered to be ALA/GODORT Liaison because she is attending the ALA meeting.
Sarah Dobransky was elected as Program Chair/President Elect.
X. New Business: Meeting Schedule
Carol Ottolenghi presented a proposal for meeting in person only once a year because the fall meeting was poorly attended. Several people said that the fall meeting locations required too much travel, and that they would be more likely to attend in person if the fall meeting were at the State Library.
The fall meeting was scheduled for Friday, November 3, 2017 at the State Library of Ohio.
XI. New Business: Modifications to Bylaws
To bring the bylaws into accord with the organization’s new outreach focus, the following bylaws changes were proposed. SaraJean is drafting the precise language
- Turn the Ad-Hoc Strategic Planning Committee (Carol, Kirsten, SaraJean, Ella, and Sarah) into a standing committee.
- Add AALL/GODORT Liaison.
- Potentially Revise Constitution Article II to be consistent with objectives from strategic plan.
Issue 86 (Spring 2017) of Docs Prescriptions is now available. You’ll find it at: https://ohiogodort.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/issue86.pdf
Carol A. Singer, Editor
It is time to mark your calendars for the Spring Ohio GODORT meeting! The GODORT of Ohio Spring Meeting will take place on Friday, May 12th, 2017, at the State Library of Ohio. The agenda and additional details have been posted.
Please be advised that the Fall meeting of GODORT of Ohio scheduled for Friday, November 4th has been cancelled due to low turnout.