We, the Executive Board of Ohio GODORT, propose the development of an Ohio GODORT Mentorship Program in order to help and encourage new (or relatively new) documents librarians and staff by pairing them with experienced persons in the profession. The program may address specific needs (understanding how to run a depository library, providing help with bibliographic instruction, sharing tips for processing documents, encouraging depository promotion, etc.), enhance general professional development, or simply provide general moral support. Mentor pairs would define their own goals and parameters for communication (in person, by phone, or by email), and persons participating in the program can request to be paired by geographic area or by type of library.
Advantages to Mentees
- Personal help, tailored to your needs, from someone in the field
- Better connection to others in the documents community
- Someone (a real person!) to answer your questions
- Enhancement of your professional development
- Encouragement to develop leadership skills within Ohio GODORT
- Opportunity to share ideas
Advantages to Mentors
- Enhancement of your own leadership and professional skills
- A chance to share your experience with others
- Opportunity to share ideas and wisdom
- Satisfaction of helping someone else grow in their work
- Encouragement of future leaders of Ohio GODORT
To participate, please fill out the following form. Peter Thayer of Marietta College is coordinating this program.